Monday, October 17, 2011

Weekend Arts and Crafts: Anthropologie Zinc Letters

I love Anthropologie's zinc letters, but I don't like the fact that they're $18 a piece. 


This past weekend I finally got around to making my own.


JoAnn Fabrics has paper mache letters that they sell for $2.99 and $3.99 a piece. While I was there I picked up a tube of black and a tube of silver metallic acrylic paint (I bought Folk Art because it was on sale, but I'm sure others would have worked too). 


I painted the letters with a coat of black, and then once it dried, painted them, lightly with a blotchy coat of the silver. And voilà, my own "zinc" letters that cost less than $10 to make!





Once they were done I completely rearranged our bookshelf. I wish I would have taken before and after photos... It was a disaster and just didn't feel like an appropriate spot for such cute letters. I've been wanting to color-code our books for awhile now. I like the organized, yet fun look that it gives. 






So now I'm trying to determine what to spell next. I like my letters so much that I think I'll make more. I just haven't decided what I'd like them to say yet. 


Any ideas? 

xo 

1 comment:

Love Letters said...

Already gorgeous too sweet
You look so much about love letters
I've got messages in this site is very beautiful
Thanks to those in charge of the site