Thursday, October 6, 2011

Lucky

Last night I was grabbing drinks with my friend Carey when she looked at her phone and said, "Oh my gosh, I think Steve Jobs just died." 

I guess I'm naive but I didn't realize he was so sick and I didn't realize he was only 56. 56 is just so young... 

For the rest of the evening I watched as people all over the world Tweeted and updated their Facebook statuses quoting Steve Jobs and all these amazingly insightful things he said over the years. Things about dreams, love, work, life and also about mortality.  

It made me think about my life. And the people in it. And how important they are to me. It made me feel lucky. But I have to say, it also made me realize how much I have to lose. 

Last weekend Jered and I went and saw Ferris Bueller's Day off at Wrigley Field. It's still only the beginning of October but it was freezing and so it was cozy to snuggle up in our winter down jackets and eat warm buttered popcorn together on a flannel blanket out in left field. I hadn't seen the movie since high school but within the first twenty minutes I was reminded what I love so much about it. It's the part where Ferris says, "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around every once in awhile, you could miss it." 

And it's so true, isn't it? Life does move quickly which is what makes it so important to cherish the people in it. And relish in the small, insignificant moments and to celebrate the big ones. And to never take anything for granted. 

I'm lucky.



No comments: