Monday, April 9, 2012

Easter Weekend Recap

Ever since I was little I have loved Easter. It’s the perfect excuse to wear pastels, spend time with those you love and eat delicious things. With my family currently spread out across the country (and world) this year was a little different, but special nonetheless. The boyfriend and I spent the weekend here in Chicago taking in the beautiful spring weather and playing host to our friend’s French bulldog Stanley.

On Saturday we scored some amazing tickets to the Cubs game and got a bit burned from sitting in the sun all afternoon. Then on Sunday we joined my aunt and cousins at my dear friend Peter’s house in Wicker Park and had one of the most incredible meals I’ve ever tasted. An amazing chef and entertainer, Peter is one of the best cooks I have ever met and we felt so lucky to be invited. I contributed to the feast by making a tray of my Grandfather’s famous Deviled Eggs and baking my mother’s famous chocolate cake, which I topped with festive Easter egg candies and toasted coconut (recipe below).

Even though I missed my family it felt as if we were creating some traditions of our own this weekend here in Chicago. Hope your weekends were just as wonderful!  


(clockwise: Peter's Standard Poodle, Big Daddy; me and Peter; Mr. Stanley; tray of deviled eggs; at the ballpark; a festive Easter cake; me and Jered)

Bessie's Chocolate Cake

2 c. sugar
1 c. butter, softened
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 c. buttermilk
1 c. boiling water
2 1/2 c. flour
1/2 c. cocoa
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt

Cream together sugar and butter. Add eggs and vanilla. Blend well. Sift together flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Add dry mixture to creamed mixture alternating with the buttermilk.  Add boiling water and beat well for two minutes.
Pour into greased and floured pans.  Bake at 350  until toothpick comes out clean (about 20 minutes or so depending on the pans used).   You can make this a 2 layer with 9" pans, a 3 layer with 8" pans or a 9x13" sheet cake. 

Chocolate Icing

1 c. butter, softened
1 tsp vanilla
1 lb. powdered sugar
1/2 tsp salt
4 Tbl cocoa
5-5 Tbl whole milk

Cream together butter and vanilla.  Sift together sugar, salt and cocoa. Gradually beat into creamed mixture. Add milk, 1 Tbl. at a time until icing is a creamy consistency.

3 comments:

{madison} said...

Looks like a lovely weekend! We need to get drinks soon:) xo

Unknown said...

That chocolate cakes sounds amazing!

HaleyKaren said...

@Sara- it's SO good. Try it!

@Maddie- YES we absolutely do! xo